Learning more about how your genes tell your future health

Through its unique and award-winning products, CURE Media Group has become the source of information and inspiration for those on the cancer journey. CURE Media Group's flagship product, CURE magazine, is the indispensable guide for every stage of the cancer experience. Through the magazine, educational forums, a resource guide for the newly diagnosed, a national nursing award, books, and a variety of online tools, CURE Media Group combines science and humanity to make cancer understandable.
clipped from curetoday.com

Having the "talk"

BY KATHY LATOUR | JUNE 22, 2010

My daughter Kirtley was only 13 months old when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1986 at age 37. By fall 1991 I was healing emotionally, and Kirtley was a happy, healthy 6-year-old who had inherited my stubborn nature and love of books. Even after the first of the BRCA genes was discovered in 1990, I knew my risk was low. I was the first in my family to get cancer. It was stroke or cardiac issues that removed my family tree limbs.
Then my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in the fall of 1991; she died six months later. It was a difficult time for me and became even more difficult as I began to worry about whether I now needed to worry about passing on more than a love of books to my daughter.
As I celebrated survivorship and Kirtley grew, I constantly scanned information about genetic testing for breast cancer, feeling sure that we would know more before I should worry.

 blog it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#MCL?▶ #SocialCurrentSee

#StemCell #Transplant▶ #SocialCurrentSee®

Canswer♥Worth®▶ #SocialCurrentSee®

Privacy Notice

Privacy Notice: The sites and blogs of ALTACITIES conform to these PRIVACY PRACTICES.