Approaching a third anniversary

The last week of July 2010 means that Dee Dee and I are only a month away from the date (Aug. 23) of our third anniversary of the stem cell transplant for the mantle cell lymphoma that occurred in March 2006.  Thanks to the life-saving procedure and the grace of my donor, Torben Schmidt of Germany, I am able to continue this journal and my other blogging while I remain cancer free with confirmed remission, not once, but twice from the disease.  See the photo (attached) of Torben, Birte and Linus, the son that was born to the Schmidts last year.

The Schmidts live in Göttingen (map), which is a university town of about 150,000 in Lower Saxony (north central Germany).  The location is about 260km (161mi) northeast of Darmstadt where I resided from 1960-62 when my father was stationed there with the U.S. Third Army.

While
our full recovery remains a work in progress since I am still due to receive the childhood immunizations that should start soon, my health status is the best since the onset of the disease four years ago.  We officially retired this year and Dee Dee and I are adjusting to the classic definition of retirement: "Half as much income with twice as much husband."  Thankfully, my blogging time and a weekly round of golf permits Dee Dee a break from the routine of minding Mike.

Before closing this post to my journal, I want to use my experience to encourage anyone who is under 40 and in good health to consider becoming a stem cell donor (or organ donor).  The process is really simple.  You can use the widget below (also found in the left-hand sidebar of this page) or you can just do a Google search for "bone marrow donor" to learn more details.  Write to me if you have any questions.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#MCL?▶ #SocialCurrentSee

Canswerist ▶ Defined

#Providence ▶ #SocialCurrentSee

Privacy Notice

Privacy Notice: The sites and blogs of ALTACITIES conform to these PRIVACY PRACTICES.