What Health Care Reform Means to Me


If the polls are right, Americans are evenly divided on the issue of health care reform. What we know about the contentious issue, like any major social change, is the debate is not likely to be resolved to the agreement of every citizen.  When all the debate settles down and a final law is passed, the end result will be evaluated not on the basis of public opinion but how well the new law works.

And how this legislative plan works is to be determined by individual experience and life stories like yours and mine.

For me, no consideration of this political hot potato can be given without accounting for my nearly-four-year saga with a life-threatening illness.  That account you have followed on MyJournal.

In March 2006, I contracted one of the most aggressive forms of mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). We never obtained lasting remission from some 16 different chemo treatments while waiting for a unrelated donor stem cell transplant (MUD SCT), the only medical procedure that offers hope of a cure for MCL.

The SCT was completed on August 22, 2007 at City of Hope, Duarte, a world-renowned cancer research and treatment center. On the 44th day post transplant results of a PET scan were negative (cancer gone!) and we also received the DNA test results -- the SCT was successful. Meanwhile, until Nov. 30, 2007, I was restricted to home confinement for the first 100 days of recovery.

Now well into my second year cancer-free, we can observe that recovery was steady but slow with some skin rash (GVH), but on Feb. 25, 2008, I returned to work on a part-time basis. Then, in late-July 2008, I returned to work on a full-time basis. But the MCL returned in July 2009 and a month later I started TomoTherapy (radiation) that was successful. We are back on medical leave until March 2010.

Due to the continuing challenge of managing treatment and recovery from this disease, I am all but certain to seek early retirement next March, although I am not 62 until June 2010. The issues of affordable health insurance for someone in my condition and with my history are obvious. The early Medicare option seems to be a practical and affordable option for me and my wife at this juncture in our lives.

That's why I am supporting a health care reform plan that takes into account that there may be thousands, probably millions of U.S. citizens like me who need the coverage right now!  Sometimes, adequate health insurance is not just a choice, it is a necessity.

For obvious reasons, I am also an advocate for adequate government and private support for cancer centers like City of Hope. I would not be alive today without their intervention and I stress that whatever happens about health care reform, there must be provision to fund and support centers of this type with the technology and services that have saved lives and will continue to do so as long as funding is available.  Am I asking for too much?









Los Angeles Times - ‎9 Dec 2009‎
The notion that the Senate healthcare bill might have suddenly expanded its base of political support quickly took hold Wednesday. ...
all 6,616 news articles » Browse all of today's headlines on Google News

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ozazovojaj.mindnmagick.com/ylelylox.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

#MCL?▶ #SocialCurrentSee

#StemCell #Transplant▶ #SocialCurrentSee®

Canswer♥Worth®▶ #SocialCurrentSee®

Privacy Notice

Privacy Notice: The sites and blogs of ALTACITIES conform to these PRIVACY PRACTICES.